1. Produce, Conserve and Include (PCI)
- The leading jurisdictional approach in Mato Grosso, Brazil aims to increase productivity, maintain native vegetation and engage smallholders and communities in economic opportunities.
- TFA works alongside PCI and the government to promote Mato Grosso as a champion of the Zero Deforestation agenda by bringing it onto the global stage.
2. Zero Deforestation agreements Colombia
- Colombian partners have signed four Zero Deforestation agreements for palm, cocoa, beef and dairy.
- TFA works with the governance of all these agreements to foster its implementation.
3. Peruvian Public-Private Coalition
- The multistakeholder coalition is co-designing a roadmap of action, having the National Zero Deforestation pillars as strategic reference.
- TFA acts as member of the interim group of coordination, supporting the implementation of solid agreements and works to enhance Peru as a global champion.
The national priority agendas of TFA Latin America for the period 2019-2021 are focused on the programs for Brazil, Colombia, and Peru.
In Brazil, TFA focuses on attracting international support for jurisdictional initiatives that target a reduction in deforestation associated with the expansion of agricultural production, especially soy, meat, and cocoa. TFA also participates in sectoral discussions such as the voluntary agreement promoted by the GTC - Cerrado Working Group and SoS - Statement of Support of Cerrado Manifesto for the implementation of the Cerrado Manifest, and dialogues with the federal government coordinated by the Brazil Climate, Forests and Agriculture Coalition to ensure compliance with the laws and international agreements related to the climate, forestry and sustainable agriculture agenda.
In Colombia, driven by the positive momentum, the Colombian government joined TFA in 2016, becoming part of the global community to support and build partnerships and initiatives involving the fight against deforestation associated with agricultural production. As a result of the establishment of a solid partnership, the TFA Colombia Alliance was created, two public-private agreements were signed by several national and global actors of the palm and cocoa chains, two additional agreements are underway, and two territories had their jurisdictional programs supported by TFA, Orinoquia and Caquetá.
TFA’s actions in Peru are supporting the creation and consolidation of the Peruvian Public-Private Coalition, working with local partners and engaging the private sector, targeting efforts on the implementation of the National Coffee and Cocoa Plans among other commodities, as well as in the construction of a portfolio of jurisdictional initiatives to be supported and accelerated.
Fabíola Marono Zerbini
Latin America Regional Director
Latin America Regional Analyst
Colombia and Peru Coordinator
Other InitiativesFind out more about our other Initiatives
The Tropical Forest Alliance is a global public-private partnership in which partners take voluntary
actions, individually and in combination, to reduce tropical deforestation. Follow us below.